Proposed mixed-use development to go to Tribunal
In 2015 a developer put in an application to develop sites located on the properties in the triangle of land bordered by the intersections of Barry Hertzog Ave (opposite Doppio Zero), Gleneagles Road and Linden Roads (behind town houses next to Sunny Shell). The developer proposed putting up shops and restaurants on the ground floor, offices/banking and possibly a day clinic on the first floor and 3 storeys of flats above this (about 89) with basement parking.
ERA asked residents for their views and received 2478 objections which it submitted to the City.
Many of you that objected and that submitted your e-mail address will have received an e-mail recently from the City of Johannesburg notifying you of a Tribunal at the City of Johannesburg on 11 November 2020 where this matter will be heard.
We recognise that many residents may have moved from the area, changed their email addresses or may no longer have an interest in this application. However, not all objectors provided an email and we want to reach as many objectors as possible so please assist us by forwarding this invitation to any neighbour or person you know who also objected to the application.
In a parallel process, ERA also objected to the developer wanting to amend Emmarentia’s Precinct Plan (so that it would support the land uses the developer was proposing in his application), which has been a long process since 2014 – 2019, but now the City has approved the Nodal Review, putting our Precinct Plan in jeopardy.
A virtual meeting was held on 26 October 2020 at 19h00 to:
- Refresh objectors knowledge of the application and the objections
- Gain feedback on whether ERA can represent the majority of the objectors at the Tribunal
- Establish whether any objectors may wish to make their own representation before the Tribunal (the City is trying to establish how large a venue to book)
- Get clarity on the nature of the objections we should pursue, given the changes in City planning policy since the application was made in 2015
- Provide information to objectors on the process that is followed by the Tribunal and the implications
- Enquire whether objectors would like/are able to contribute to the costs of defending this application as we need to bring a lawyer on board and this will cost between R100 000 – R150 000.
Original motivation of the developer:Motivating-Memo-20151109_0001
Objections to the development:
See below for the original objection by ERA and the Louw Geldenhuys Family to the proposed development.ERA-objection-021215
See below for supporting documents of the developer:
- Traffic Study
2. Services Reportservices-report-by-applicant.compressed
3. Retail SurveyFernridge-retail-study-part-2.compressed
Documents from the City:
See below for City Planning’s response to the proposed development.TPT-146-20-Emmarentia-Dev-Man-report-for-Tribunal-by-City-Planning-department.11-Sept-2020
AGENDA OF THE TRIBUNAL:scan-of-agenda-for-hearing-20201024.compressed
We will put up newer documents as and when they become available.
Any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
See here for the ERA presentation presented to objectors on 26 October 2020ERA-presentation-objectors-20201026